Topic title: New Technology Training Materials (link to archived presentation and materials here).
Event date: December 14, 2010.
What makes an accidental tech trainer? Some features:
- You teach in a computer lab.
- You provide webinars.
- You help patrons with things like e-mail or finding articles online.
- If you work in a library, odds are good you are already doing technology training.
It is important to have a good attitude as a trainer. This is also helpful to the participants, projecting confidence and being positive.
In teaching, keep in mind that people take in the world in different ways. Three basic styles of learning (this is something that is simple and easy to remember): visual, auditory, kinesthetic. As a trainer, try to incorporate styles as much as possible.
- To motivate, provide examples of what users could use the new technology/material for. You can have sample products made with the new technology. Do give the audience some "time to play" (hands-on).
- The times when the technology fails, show what happened (if possible, such as if you opened a wrong window. Obviously, you lose power or the Internet, that is a different issue. Personally, I recommend using some humor at that point).