The event took place on October 29, 2010. Yes, I am running a little behind on transcribing notes, but then again, given I only have two readers, not much of an incentive, plus there is that other thing called work.
- The value of your respective library. You need to be able to articulate this.
- Your value as a library employee.
I found it interesting that in the example given from the Yolo County Library they have staff performance goals that reflect an "ambassador" role in service delivery and outreach. There is something to be said for the concept that the "ambassador" role should not just fall to the outreach librarian, but that it could be shared since we all make an impression of the library at one point or another.
Some questions to create discussion in your library:
- How do you define advocacy?
- Why is it important?
- How does it relate to marketing and fundraising?
- What is our role versus the role of deans and administrators?
Link to ALA's Frontline Advocacy Toolkit.
Link to ALA's Advocacy University.